Everyone gets a Mexican craving and if you’ve moved on from homemade tacos and are experimenting a little we can help out with tasty, seasoned Mexican Rice. Whether is burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas or beans our Mexican Rice will partner perfectly on your escape to Mexico. Enjoy amigo!
Be sure not to skip step 2. If you omit this step the rice may not be dry and fluffy.
- 410g crushed tomatoes
- 1 white onion
- 3 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 500g white rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
1. Puree tomatoes and onion until thoroughly smooth. Transfer mixture to measuring cup and reserve exactly 2 cups.
2. Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water. Shake rice vigorously to remove excess water. This step removes the starch from the rice so it will not stick.
3. Heat oil in a pan over low heat for about 2 minutes. Drop a few rice grains in and if they sizzle then it is ready. Add rice and fry stirring until rice is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Be careful that the oil doesn't get too hot too fast or the oil will splatter.
4. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and chillies and cook , stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.
5. Stir in chicken stock, pureed mixture, tomato paste and a dash of salt. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
6. Simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, stir well throughout. Serve.